Knapen Family Sugar Bread Recipe
In preparation for our annual breakfast event — Celebration of Hope — the Knapen family shared the recipe for one of their favorite breakfast dishes: sugar bread. Sugar bread is a beloved treat with variations eaten in cultures all over the world. We are excited to share this special recipe, and hope you and your family enjoy it as much as the Knapens do!
Pinch of salt
100gr melted butter
20gr dry yeast
150gr pearl sugar
1. Mix lukewarm milk and sugar in a bowl, then add yeast. Mix until you get an homogeneous substance.
2. Add flour, salt, 1 egg and butter, then knead until you get a homogeneous and non-sticky dough. Cover dough and let rest for 30 minutes.
3. Add the Pearl sugar and knead the dough again to make sure the pearls are evenly integrated.
4. Cut the dough into 2 balls and place them on your oven pan (parchment paper). Cover the dough balls with a humid kitchen towel and let rest for 1.5 hours.
5. Preheat oven to 370F.
6. Beat the second egg to make a glaze, then brush over both dough balls.
7. Bake for about 30 minutes, then enjoy!